- "Joseph's self-imposed estrangement"
Jewish Bible Quarterly - 2018
» J.C. = Jewish Chronicle
» JBQ = Jewish Bible Quarterly
» N.I.W. = Nieuw Israelietisch Weekblad, Amsterdam
are available at jbq.jewishbible.org under 'Past Issues'
- "Board President Jonathan Arkush and the right to speak out"
Letter to the Editor, J.C., 27 January 2017, page 42
- "My feelings shared in poem about Paris"
A poetic Letter to the Editor regarding the Paris atrocity
London Jewish News, 22 January 2015, page 33.
- "VeZot HaTorah: The origin and objective of the Hagbaha Ritual,"
art. In Morasha Kehilat Yaakov: Essays in Honour of Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks
(ed. M.Pollak and S. Simons), Maggid Books, Jerusalem, 2014, pp.239-251.
- "Some thoughts on The Campaign Against Anti-Semitism Rally"
Stanmore Synagogue Website September 2014 [read here]
- Letter to Mr Mike Freer MP: "Jewry and Britain under threat" [read here]
- Letter submitted to the Editor of the Daily Mail regarding the Gaza conflict [read here]
31 July 2014
- Letter to an Unknown Soldier [read here]
26 June 2014
- "Thoughts on a journey"
Letter to the Editor, The Jerusalem Post, 12 May, p.14.
- "Tefillin and our work-driven week"
Norrice Leader, Features, Pesach 2013, p.15 [download] to read
- "The historical disaster the rabbis covered up"
J.C. 04 May 2012, p.29
- "Historical understanding is essential"
J.C. 20 January 2012, p.26
- "The contemporary messages of Purim"
The Norrice Leader, March 2011, p.2 [download] to read
- "Dividing Israel's Capital City: A National and Inter-national Catastrophe."
Commissioned, published and distributed by B'nai B'rith Europe, Brussels
For a free hard copy, please email: email@example.com
- "The Writing on the Wall"
Poem published in Magazine of The New Synagogue, Netanya
Rosh Hashanah 2010, pp.28-30.
- "Early Traditions on the Kidnapping and Sale of Joseph: Part II,"
Jewish Bible Quarterly, Vol. XXXVIII:3 (151),
July-September 2010, pp.143-148
- "Early traditions on the kidnapping and sale
of Joseph: Part I"
Jewish Bible Quarterly, Vol. XXXVIII, No. 2 (150)
April-June 2010, pp. 106-114.
- "'Rabbi' or 'Reverend Gentleman'?"
The Norrice Leader, Dec.2009, p.4
- "Which Anokhi did Jacob not know?"
Jewish Bible Quarterly, Vol. XXXVII:4 (148)
Oct-Dec 2009, pp. 223-230
- REPORT: "Make conversion easier, rabbi urges."
J.C. 18th Sept. 2009, p.6
- "The Great Debate - Who is a Jew?"
J.C. New Year Supplement 18th Sept. 2009, pp.2-5
- "How God introduced Himself to the Patriarchs,"
Jewish Bible Quarterly, vol. xxxvii:2 (146),
April-June, pages 118-120.
- 'How Chief Rabbis have battled against Reform'
Review of Meir Persoff's Faith Against Reason
J.C. 14 November 2008, p.32
- 'How rabbis have reacted to war.'
Review of Marc Saperstein's Preaching in times of war
(Littman Library of Civilisation)
J.C. 16 May 2008, p.34.
- 'Why the rabbis ask us to hit the bottle on Purim'
J.C. 21 March 2008, p.36.
- 'Archbishop of Canterbury draws friendly fire'
Letter in The Times
27 November 2007, page 18
- 'Response to Iran'
Letter in The Times
06 March 2007, page 17
- 'Patriarchal History: Action and Reaction,'
Jewish Bible Quarterly, vol. xXXX:3 (139),
July-September 2007, page 161-165
- Review article:
'The rise of Britain's Chief Rabbis'
(On Derek Taylor's British Chief Rabbis 1664-2006
and Miri Freud-Kandel's Orthodox Judaism in Britain since 1913),
J.C. 11-5-2007, p.34.
- 'Abraham's hospitality,'
JBQ vol.34:3 (135), July-September 2006, pp.168-172
- 'Acharei Mot and the strange fire,'
JBQ Jan-March 2006, pp.51-54
- The Omer, Akivah and the limits of rabbinic authority,'
Magazine of The New Synagogue, Netanya, pp.13-15
- 'Prayer: Food for the soul'
in A. Shaw (ed.) 60 Days for 60 Years,
United Synagogue Publication, Jan. 2005, pp.30-32
- 'Hatan Damim - The bridegroom of blood,'
JBQ, April-June 2005, pp. 120-126
- 'Sea of faith,'
J.C. 29-4-2005, p.24.2
- 'Ask the Rabbi,'
The Jewish News, 25-8-2005, p6
- A heroine on Chanukah,'
J.C. 23-12-2005, p.22
- God's voice: From Creation to the Sanctuary,'
JBQ xxxiii:3 (131), July-September 2005, 184-186
- 'Us and them - A Purim message for Israel,'
J.C. 5-3-2004, p.29
- 'A rabbi for all seasons,' Review essay,
J.C. 17-12-2004, p.24
- Joy: The Yom Kippur-Succot connection,' in Imrei Phiynu, ed. Rabbi D. Roselaar,
(publication of Rabbinical Council of the United Synagogue), pp.13-15
- Jethro/Hobab's detainment,'
JBQ April-June 2004, pp.115-121
- 'Why we were slaves in Egypt,'
Sidra Insights, Daf Hashavua
(ed. Rabbinical Council of the United Synagogue), Vayyechi, vol.16 no.16, 2003
- 'Struggling with angels and men,'
JBQ April-June 2003, pp.126-129
- 'An indispensable guide to freedom'
[The Chief Rabbi's Haggadah],
J.C. 4-4-2003, p.30
- 'Holding fire - Jewish attitudes to weapons
of mass destruction,'
J.C. 20-6-2003, p.27
- 'When did we become a nation?'
JBQ 2003, October-December 2003, pp. 260-263
- 'Rabbis must show courage,'
J.C. 1-8-2003, p.18
- 'Pesach: the challenge to parents,'
J.C. 22-3-2002, p.33
- 'No one should take the last journey alone,'
J.C. 21-6-2002, p.28
- 'Joseph's delayed reunion,'
Sidra Insights, Daf Hashavua
(ed. Rabbinical Council of the United Synagogue), Vayyigash, 2002
- 'The role and disposition of the priesthood,'
chapter in Eshkolot
(Essays in memory of Rabbi Ronald Lubofsky),
Hybrid Publishers, Melbourne, Australia, 2002,
- 'Let's have art for heaven's sake,'
J.C., 10-5-2002, p.30
- 'Displacement in the matriarchal home,'
JBQ April-June 2002, pp.90-96
- 'Is Rosh Hashanah a festival?'
Habimah (Stanmore Journal), Sept. 2002
- 'Difficult mitzvah which requires a delicate touch,'
J.C. 19-7-2002, p.25
- 'The Selichot period,'
Hagan (Hampstead Garden Suburb Journal),
Sept. 2002, p.15
- 'Inappropriate approach to appropriate concerns,'
J.C. 6-9-2002, p.43
- 'Jacob's paradoxical encounters,'
JBQ xxix:1 (113), Jan-March 2001, pp.40-42
Obituary: Professor Naphtali Wieder,
The Independent (The Friday review),
- 'Joseph under suspicion,'
JBQ xxix:3, July-September 2001, p.35
- 'Revenge of a rejected guest,'
J.C. [Tisha B'Av], 27-7-2001, p.25
- 'Purim and Adloyada,'
JBQ xxix:4 (116), Oct-Dec 2001, pp.259-262
- 'The symbol inside the [Hillel] sandwich,'
J.C. 14-4-2000, p.33
- 'No room for wandering souls,'
J.C. 18-8-2000, p.19
- 'Leadership in the book of Numbers,'
JBQ xxviii:2 (110), April-June 2000, pp.125-129
- Elie Wiesel, And the sea is never full, J.C. 1-12-2000, p.30
- Adin Steinsaltz, A Guide to Jewish Prayer, J.C. 29-12-2000, p.21
- 'Modern Orthodoxy in Israel,'
J.C. 1-1-99, p.
- 'The folly of playing with fire,'
J.C. 7-5-99, p.28
- 'Pesach perspectives,'
J.C. 26-3-99, p.33
- 'The fertility of the early Israelites,'
JBQ 27:3 (107), summer 1999, pp.195-199
- 'She'asa nisim: miraculous oil or miraculous victory?' L'Eyla, Dec.1999, pp.49-52
- 'Kids acting up,'
J.C. (Pesach Supplement), 20-3-1998, p.ii
- 'The crucial fifth question of Passover,'
J.C. 3-4-1998, p.30
- 'De Megilla: Kroniek of brief?'
N.I.W. 6-3-1998, p.6
- 'How Orthodoxy can learn from America,'
J.C. 22-5-1998, p.25
- 'Had Noah lived in Adam's generation,'
L'Eyla no.46 (Sept.1998), pp.11-14
- 'Repentance at the White House,'
J.C. 18-9-1998, p.41
- 'Pearls of Prayer' no.1
(weekly column in J.C), 30.5.97
- 'Biblical Message to the Swiss Bankers,'
- 'The dilemma of the Sanctuary,'
JBQ July/Sept 1997, pp.185-7
- 'Pearls of Prayer' no.2,
J.C. 12-9-97, p.24
- Review of Fountain of Blessing,
Pinchas Toledano, vol.2,
L'Eyla, Rosh Hashanah 5788, p.14
- 'De tweede dag jom tov,'
N.I.W, 10-10-97, p.13
- 'Love of neighbour and its antecedent verses,'
JBQ, xxiv:1 (93), Jan-March 1996, pp.18-21
- 'Who was the real heroine of the Megillah?'
J.C. 1-3-96, p.24
- Vashti - An unsung heroine,
JBQ xxiv no.2 (94), April-June 1996, pp.103-106
- 'Pesach Questions,'
Shalom (Kenton) Magazine, 20-3-96, p.10
- 'Life on Mars: a Jewish view,'
- 'Een dag als Pueriem (A day like Purim),'
NIW, 20-9-96, p.10
- 'Spiritual dimensions of second day yom tov,'
JC 4-10-96, p.20
- 'Consequences of the Akedah,'
JBQ, vol.xxiv:4 (96), Oct-Dec 1996, p.241-245
- 'Chanukah's message of cultural accretion,'
J.C. 29-11-96, p.27
- 'Eeb het fruit goui de schil weg,'
[Chanukah article], NIW, 15-12-1995
- 'Why Moses smashed the tablets,'
JBQ xxiii:1 (89), Jan-March 1995, pp.33-37
- 'Vashti: an unsung heroine,'...
- 'Pesach's message to the post-Shoa world,'
J.C. 21-4-95, p.23
- 'Was Abraham heartless?'
JBQ xxiii no.3 (91), July-Sept. 1995, pp.180-182
- 'Shmuel haKatan and the political background to
Judaism, 174 (44), Spring 1995, pp.171-180
- 'De les van Tisja B'Av,'
N.I.W., 4-8-1995, p.8
- 'Dangerous intrusion,'
J.C. 25-8-1995, p.18
- 'The world is bigger than a few back gardens,'
- 'What the hidden codes are really hiding,'
J.C. 8-12-1995, p.31
- 'Sidra Vayyishlach,'
- 'Agenda for a true Vatican-Israel accord,'
J.C. 28-1-1994, p.19
- 'Rabbis who distort Judaism's message,'
J.C. 18-3-1994, p.29
- 'The Bereshit Song,'
Judaism, Spring 1994, pp.220-222
- 'Had Noah lived in Abraham's generation,'
JBQ xxii no 2 (86), April 1994, pp.120-122
N.I.W. 2-7-1994, p.5
- 'Rome's monumental mistake in the destruction
of the Temple,'
J.C. 15-7-1994, 21
- 'The nature of the Decalogue'
JBQ, 22,3 (1994) 173-177
- 'How the chained wife is unshackled at last,'
J.C. 24-9-1993, p.24
- 'The Bulger murder and the rebellious son,'
J.C. 3-12-1993, p.18
- 'The Jacob-Esau reunion,'
JBQ xxi, no.3 (83), pp 159-163
- 'The call of Moses,'
JBQ xx, no.4 (Summer 1992), pp.256-261
- 'Dangers in following the herd instinct,'
J.C. 25-9-1992, p.21
- 'Can mandatory mitzvot be spontaneous?'
J.C. 9-10-1992, p.13
- 'Biblical basis for women's prayer groups,'
J.C. 13-11-1992, p.13
- 'The Week'
J.C. column, 23-10-1992, p.13
- 'The Week,'
J.C. column, 4-12-1992, p.13
- 'Balaam: did God change his mind?'
JBQ, 20,3 (1992) 159-163
- 'The seeds of Korach's rebellion,'
L'Eyla, no.31, March 1991, p.41
- 'A Yom Yerushalayim Meditation,'
J.C. 1-1-91, p.24
- 'Festival ritual in an historical context,'
J.C. 1-2-1991, p.22
- 'Passover's link with the Holocaust,'
J.C. 5-4-1991, p.20
- 'Need to formalise Holocaust day,'
J.C. 3-5-1991, p.23
- 'Jerusalem's topical peace message,'
J.C. 10-5-1991, p.20
- 'These are the generations of Isaac,'
JBQ xix, no.4 (76), summer 1991, p.260
- 'Why Chazan's art is dying in Anglo-Jewry,'
J.C 26 7-1991, p. 15
- 'Beyond the fringe,'
J.C 6-9-1991, p.20
- 'Ve'zot ha-Torah' - a liturgical reassurance,
Judaism, 40,4 (1991) 407-418
- 'Succot's answer to Yom Kippur challenge?'
J.C. 5-10-1990, p.23
- 'The tabernacle: A psycho-theological enterprise,'
JBQ xviii, no.2 (70), winter 1989-90, p.81ff.
- 'Painful ascent to Yom Kippur peak,'
J.C. 28-9-1990, p.21
- 'Ancient heifer and modern rabbi,'
Hamesilah (United Syn. Publication),
Rosh Hashanah 5751 (Sep. 1990), pp.6-7
- 'Homosexual rabbis in Korach's mould,'
J.C 31-8-1990, p.21
- 'Dangerous surge in messianic spirit,'
J.C. 3-8-1990, p.21
- Roy A. Rosenberg et al.,
J.C. 19-1-1990, p.27
- R. Joseph Koffman and Gerald A Larue,
Biblical and secular ethics,
Prometheus Books, N.Y., 1988.
L'Eyla, Pesach 5750 no.29, pp.41-44
- Todd M Endelman,
Jewish Apostasy in the modern world,
Holmes and Meir, N.Y and London, 1987.
L'Eyla, Pesach 5750, no.29, pp.56-59
- P. Toledano,
Fountain of Blessing,
British Sephardi Federation, 1989.
J.C. 22-6-1990, p.27
- Myer S Kripke,
Insight and Interpretation,
Town House Press, N.Y.,
- 'Concealed messages in the Purim Story,'
J.C. 17-3-89, p.31
- 'Tisha b'Av mourning for the Holocaust,'
J.C. 4-8-89, p.23
- '[Kohelet] Small in stature, great in achievement,
J.C. 30-9-89, p.25
- 'Balaam's mission - failure or success,'
Dor-le-Dor, xvii, no.2 (Winter 88-89), pp.112-117
- 'Shaping our future through our past,'
J.C. 17-11-89, p.29
- 'Centrist Jews who straddle two worlds,'
J.C. 18-8-89, p.25
- 'A call to commitment,'
J.C. 29-9-89, pp.47-8, 66
- 'Is it a mitzvah to do security?'
Tradition, 24 (1), Fall 1988, pp.50-57
- 'Is there a future for Centrist Judaism?
Forum Newsletter, winter 1989
- 'Meanings both traditional and modern,'
JC 10-3-89, p.27
- 'On-going miracles we rarely recognise,'
J.C. 23-12-1989, p.23
- 'Concealed messages in the Purim story,'
J.C. 17-3-1989, p.31
- Contributing editor, Judaism section:
The Longman Encyclopedia (ed. Asa Briggs),
- Chaim Pearl,
J.C. 10-3-1989, p.27
- Dan Cohn-Sherbok,
The Jewish Heritage,
J.C. 10-3-1989, p.27
- 'Polarisation in the Mosaic period,'
Dor Le-Dor, xvi no.4, Summer 1988, pp.263-267
- 'God's blessings,' in The Children's Book of Prayers, Blackie & Son Ltd, 1988, p.68
- 'Are we ever ready for Rosh Hashanah?'
J.C. 2-9-1988, p.29
- 'When Jew meets Christian,'
L'Eyla, no.26 (Sept. 1988), pp.23-24
- 'Festival journey with no end in sight,' [Succot],
J.C. 23-9-1988, p.29
- 'Small in stature, great in achievement,' [Kohelet],
J.C. 30-9-1988, p. 25
- 'Into the fold or left out in the cold,'
J.C. 25-11-1988, p.37
- 'Balaam's mission - failure or success?'
Dor le Dor, 17,2 (1988) 112-116
- 'The siddur of Ethiopian Jewry,'
Niv Hamidrashia, 1987, pp.68-75
- 'When relevance is no longer relevant,'
Jewish Herald (Glasgow), May-June 1987, p.17
- 'The spell of the Seder,'
At magazine, March-April 1987, pp.3-5
- 'The wise son is the hardest to teach,'
J.C. 10-4-1987, p.27
- 'Returning to the Temple Mount,'
Jewish Tradition Magazine (South Africa),
April 1987, pp.17-18
- 'Spiritual mystique of the Temple Mount,'
J.C. 22-5-1987, p.25
- 'Jonah's race to Nineveh,'
Dor Le Dor, xvi, no.1 (Fall 1987), pp.10-18
- 'The awesome challenge of Yom Kippur' [Jonah],
J.C. 2-10-1987, p.27
- D. Marchant,
Understanding Shmittoh (Feldheim, N.Y.),
J.C. 26-6-1987, p.27
- Hayyim Schauss,
The Jewish Festivals,
L'Eyla, no.23 (Pesach 5747) pp.66-67
- Menasseh ben Israel,
The Hope of Israel (Littman Library, O.U.P.),
J.C. 13-11-1987, p.27
- Julian Jacobs,
The ship has a captain (Aviva Press),
J.C. 9-10-1987, p.19
- Contributing Editor (Judaism section): Longman's Encyclopedia, 1987
- 'A problem verse in Dayenu,'
Dor Le Dor, xiv no.3 (55), Spring 1986, pp.162-165
- Wherein lay the sin of Nadav and Avihu?
L'Eylah, 22 (1986) 51-53
- 'The striking of the rock,'
Dor Le Dor, pp.152-165
(Reprinted from Niv Hamidrashia)
- 'Forgiveness on a day of fasting,'
J.C. 27-7-1984, p.31
- 'A call to arms and prayer,'
- 'The importance of public worship,'
J.C. 8-9-1984, p.31
- 'Revelatory truth or subterfuge?'
J.C. 8-6-1984, p.35
- 'Which son are we?'
J.C. 13-4-1984, p.43
- 'The religious criminal,'
Judaism, 125 vol.32:1, winter 1983, pp. 23-26
- 'Spies, princes and Korach's rebellion,'
Dor Le Dor, x no.4 (40), summer 1982, pp.220-228
- An unrecognized connotation of 'nsq peh' with special reference to three biblical occurrences
Vetus Testamentum, 32,4 (1982) 416-424
- 'The Enigmatic Song of Songs,'
Shalom Magazine, April 1981
- 'The striking of the rock and the sin of Moses and Aaron reconsidered,'
Niv Hamidrashia, 1980, vol. 15, pp.110-115
- 'Avadim Hayyinu,'
art. in A Seder Guide, (publ. Yemin, United Syn.)
- 'Induction Sermon,'
publ. in L'Eyla, April 1981
- 'Genesis and Evolution,'
- 'Ethical perspectives on a pre-emptive strike
- 'Juvenile violence: the Jewish view,"
- 'The festival of Simchat Torah,'
J.C. 14-10-79, p.23
- Moshe Peli,
The Age of Haskalah,
New German Studies, 7 (1979), 232-233
- 'The weekly sidrah: Bo','
J.C. 2-2-1979, p.24
- 'The weekly sidrah: Ki Tisa,'
J.C. 16-3-1979, p.23
- 'The weekly sidrah: Tazria-Metzora,'
J.C. 27-4-1979, p.23
- 'The weekly sidrah: Naso,'
J.C. 8-6-1979, p.23
- 'The weekly sidrah: Mattot-Massey,'
J.C. 20-7-1979, p.23
- 'The weekly sidrah: Ki Teitsei,'
J.C. 31-8-1979, p.23
- 'Reflections on Shabbat Rosh Chodesh,'
L'Eyla, 1, 7, (1979), pp.36-38
- 'The festival of Simchat Torah,'
J.C. 14-10-1979, p.24
- 'Jews' College - In tune with tomorrow?'
J.C. 9-11-1979, p.25
- 'Mezuzah: protective amulet or religious symbol,' Jewish Echo (Glasgow), 8-4-78, p.14
- 'Where did the Samaritans really come from?' Bookmark (May,1978), pp. 305
- 'The message of Chanukah in the context of an evaluation of Jewish ritual,'
L'Eyla, vol.1 no.6, pp.30-32
- 'Hasidic Liturgy,' art. in H. Rabinowicz (ed)
Encyclopedia of Hasidism (1978)
- 'The weekly sidrah: Lekh Lekha,'
J.C. 19-11-1978, p.23
- 'The weekly sidrah: Vayyeshev,'
J.C. 23-12-1978, p23
- 'An eye to the evil spirits,'
Australian Jewish News, 11-3-77, p.20
- 'Innovations in Jewish religious ritual,'
L'Eyla, vol.1 no.3 (Spring 1977)
- 'The evil eye and Jewish marriage customs,'
The Jewish Digest, xxii June 1977), vol. 10, p.72
- David Hartman,
Maimonides, Torah and Philosophical Quest,
J.C. 24-6-1977, p.28
- 'The Quest for relevance and life adjustment
in Jewish education,'
publ. in Essays in Jewish Education (ed. M. Dagan), Torah Dept. of W.Z.O. (Jerusalem), pp. 13-27
- 'The oldest profession,'
J.C. 26-3-76, p. 17
- Pitchu dapeinu. Dedicatory poem,
Journal of the Glasgow Book Exhibition, 1976
- 'Parents at Pesach,'
Jewish Echo, vol 49 no.14
- 'Marriage superstitions,'
J.C. Brides and Homes Supplement,
J.C. 21-5-76, p.xi
- J. Werblowsky,
Beyond tradition and modernity,
J.C., 16-4-76, p.26
- Noah H Rosenbloom,
Tradition in an age of reform,
J.C. 5-11-76, p.23
- P. van Seters,
Abraham in history and tradition,
J.C. 4-6-76, p.27>/li>
- 'The Maccabees: Not everyone's heroes,'
J.C. 28-11-75, p.14
- 'Jesus the patriot,'
J.C. 26-12-75, p.8
- 'Tu Bishvat - New Year for Trees,'
Jewish Echo (Glasgow), vol.49 no.2
- 'A Samaritan authentication of the rabbinic interpretation of Kephi tahra,'
Vetus Testamentum, xxiv,
July 1974, no. 3, pp 361-366
- The History of Jewish Prayer,
United Synagogue, London.
- Outward Signs,
United Synagogue, London.
- In Defence of Tradition,
Published by Hampstead Garden Suburb Synagogue.